Upper Mustang Trek
Mustang formerly “Kingdom of Lo” is a remote and isolated region of the Nepalese Himalaya with an altitude of 3850m. covering an area of 3570 km square. Mustang has been the part of Nepal since the 18th century. This region extends northward onto the Tibetan plateau with Marsyangdi River to the east and world’s deepest gorge, craved out by the wild waters of Kaligandaki to the west. Mustang is differentiated into two parts: Upper mustang and Lower mustang. Upper mustang trek is mostly famous for adventurous cultural trek having stunning treeless barren landscapes with yellow and grey rolling hills eroded by the wind whereas lower mustang is famous for natural scenery.
Mustang is a mystical place successfully luring thousands of tourists every year. This valley is blessed with unique culture, old Buddhist monasteries, isolated and ancient village with picturesque white washed houses, local tribes and thousand year old man made caves. In this perspective, it is an alternate way to experience the Tibetan culture.
- Day 1 : Kathmandu 1350m.
- Day 2 : Fly to Pokhara, 850m.
- Day 3 : Fly to Jomsom and drive to Kagbeni 2810m.
- Day 4 : Drive to Samar 3660m.
- Day 5 : Drive to Ghami then trek to Dhakmar 3820m.
- Day 6 : Trek to “Lo-Mathang” 3810m.
- Day 7 : Explore in “Lo-Mathang” 3810m.
- Day 8 : Trek to Yara 3650m.
- Day 9 : Explore day in Yara 3650m.
- Day 10 : Trek to Tangge3240m.
- Day 11 : Trek to Tetang 3040m.
- Day 12 : Trek to Muktinath 3760m.
- Day 13 : Trek to Jomsom 2720 m.
- Day 14 : Fly to Pokhara 850m.
- Day 15 : Drive to Kathmandu 1350m.
- Day 16 : Visiting to School in Kathmandu 1350m.
- Day 17 : Visiting to village 1800m.
- Day 18 : Drive back to Kathmandu 1300m.
- Day 19 : Fly Back to home.
- All domestic transports as per the itinerary.
- Accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara at 3 star hotel with twin sharing basis and breakfast as per the itinerary.
- Kathmandu to Pokhara flight.
- Pokhara - Jomsom - Pokhara flights.
- All trekking permits and necessary paper works.
- Accommodation in tea houses and lodges run by local people during trek.
- Meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during trekking including tea and coffee.
- Experienced trekking guide and porters to carry loges.
- Accommodation, food, salary, insurance, transport of the all staffs.
- Guided sightseeing in UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites of Kathmandu.
- All additional taxes.
- First aid and medical kit.
- Farewell dinner in a Nepali restaurant before departure.
- Nepal entry visa fee
- Tip for guides, porters and drivers. (Minimum 10% of the whole trip cost.) according to our company rule.
- Lunch and dinner whilst in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Bar bills, telephone bills and other personal expenses (shopping/ laundry)
- All expenses due to unavoidable events e.g. flight cancellation, personal illness, strike, etc
- Personal trekking gears, sleeping bags, down jackets, etc.
- Travel and emergency evacuation insurance of clients. Clients must have insured emergency evacuation.
- Entrance fees of sightseeing places Kathmandu and Pokhara
Day 1 Kathmandu 1350m.
Today after breakfast, tour guide will take you Sightseeing in word heritage places including Pashupatinath, Shyambhunath and Patan Durbar Square. These are the historical sites in Kathmandu.
Day 2 Fly to Pokhara, 850m.
It is 30 minute flight to Pokhara, where you’ll see the spectacular mountain view form the Airline’s window. As you land on Airport transfer to the hotel, in the afternoon you’ll visit the beautiful Lake side city.
Day 3 Fly to Jomsom and drive to Kagbeni 2810m.
It’s 25 minutes morning flight to Jomsom, northwest from Pokhara between the Snow caped mountain Annapurna and Daulagiri. You will enjoy view of well-raised massif mountain 8000m. Then it will be an hour short drive to Kagabeni along the Kaligandki Gorge, Kagabeni is a small village and get way of upper mustang.
Day 4 Drive to Samar 3660m.
This is an another exciting day, will be 3 to 4 hour local jeep drive to Samar via several beautiful villages Tangbe, Chhusang and Chele. Similarly, crossing the high passes Taklam La 3624m, Dorje La 3736m. (in local language “LA” means pass). Samar is a small village where you’ll have the opportunity to see the Tibetan cultures.
Day 5 Drive to Ghami then trek to Dhakmar 3820m.
Today drive will be 3 hour to Ghami then began trek to Dhakmar, approximately 3 hours walk. While driving and walking you’ll admire beautiful landscape and ancient caves. As people migrated from Tibet they used to stay in those caves early in the seven centuries.
Day 6 Trek to “Lo-Mathang” 3810m.
Today hike will be 5 to 6 hours to Lo Mathang via Ghar Gompa. After walking through the first pass (Mui La 4170) you will visit the oldest monastery in the region, which was built around 7th century by Padmasambhava dynasty, this is the most highlighted part of the hick. Continuing the walk in few hours you’ll get to Chogo La 4230m. Then you’ll reach the last kingdom city of Nepal. The fabled walled city of Lo Manthang, the kingdom with a single entrance, reign of the last king “Lo Gyelbu” Jigme Palbar Bista, who still resides at his four-storied palace inside the walled city of Lo Manthang.
Day 7 Explore in “Lo-Mathang” 3810m.
Lo-Manthang is a walled town of the remote Upper Mustang region of Nepal. You’ll spend a day touring three major Monasteries of the town: Jhampa, Thupchen and Chhoeda. All of these Monasteries have undergone expert restoration over the last two decades. We can also trek to Tingkhar which is a beautiful village located north-west of Lo-Mangthang near Tibet border.
Day 8 Trek to Yara 3650m.
Today walk might take 6 hours to Yara, after breakfast, ascending until Dhi village then cross the small river and make a short steep climb up to Yara village. You can see innumerable caves and Mane walls on the way.
Day 9 Explore day in Yara 3650m.
Today you’ll explor Luri Gompa, which might take 4 to 5 hours round trip, through the river route. There are two monasteries, the first one we’ll visit is situated below the Luri Cave monastery. Then a short steep ascent brings us to Luri Cave Monastery, which will takes you about 45 minutes. This is the oldest famous cave monastery in the Mustang region, this was constructed in the 15th century. It is situated at an elevation of 4005m. Inside the cave you’ll see a big old Stupa and images and statues of Protectors and Deities.
Day 10 Trek to Tangge3240m.
It will take 6 hours through the beautiful river landscape. Today you are doing several river crossing, there is no bridge over the river, so you have to cross with bare feet. After crossing the river, the trail ascends to a pass and continues through the grasslands and brings you to hike along the hills. Beyond the pass the trail nose-dives down to the village of Tange 3240m. Tange is tiny village with roughly 30 houses. Most of the houses are attached to each other. On the roofs, you will see the stacks of dried out wood, which also reflect the prosperity in their society.
Day 11 Trek to Tetang 3040m.
Today is longest walk of the whole trip, it might take 9 to 10 hours. In the morning after crossing Tange river’s bridge, ascending through the Pass at 4210m which is the highest elevation of the trip. Again trail continues through deep ridges and gets amazing views of wind printed hills on both sides and mountain view too. Tetang Village nestles between two of these hills to protect it from the strong wind that hit the entire Kali Gandaki valley. Tetang is the higher altitude village of Chhuksang.
Day 12 Trek to Muktinath 3760m.
Today walk will be 5 hours, after few hours walking cross the river and ascending to Gyu La (4077m.) this is the place where you can have panoramic views of Thorong peak, Nilgiri, Tukche peak and the lovely Muktinath valley. After rest heading down hill to Muktinath via Chhenkar village. Muktinath is the holy place for both Buddhist and Hindu people.
Day 13 Trek to Jomsom 2720 m.
Today is the final day of hiking it might take more and less 6 hours. Almost all walk will be descending and along walk breath trekking view of snow caped mountain. One the way you’ll visiting the ancient Bonpo monastery in Lupra village, this place is well known as a Thakali village, where the ethnic group of the Lower Mustang lived. After that walking from Panda Khola to Jomsom.
Day 14 Fly to Pokhara 850m.
After breakfast, morning flight to Pokhara, then either you can have rest or explore to those beautiful places like Fewa lake, Sarangkot and peace stupa these are the amazing places to visit.
Day 15 Drive to Kathmandu 1350m.
It is 7 hours tourist bush drive to Kathmandu via Prithivi highway along the Trisuli river, Dhding, Mugling and Naubise villages.
Day 16 Visiting to School in Kathmandu 1350m.
After having breakfast, you’ll visiting the School which has been supporting by Mother and Children Art foundation to the disadvantage children of rural aria. You handover stationary, Sports materials and Uniform to the kids.
Day 17 Visiting to village 1800m.
Today visiting to one of the village Namobuddha or Kakani for cultural program such as dancing, singing and cooking class overnight in the village.
Day 18 Drive back to Kathmandu 1300m.
Early morning drive back to Kathmandu. Then rest and relaxing in Kathmandu, in the evening farewell dinner.
Day 19 Fly Back to home.
Program concludes and our representative will bring you to the international Airport.
Dhruba Prasad Ghimire, Club Member
Hard liner of Bahun-bad – Oli, Khanal and Nepal. Three political leaders are responssible for unrest in the country. Why these bahun leaders do not want giving rights to other communities ?
Leave a Reply
" Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
- Trip Code : #Upper Mustang 01
- Trip Grade : Moderate
- Max Altitude : 4230m.
- Min Altitude : 850m.
- Activities: Trekking
- No of Trip Days: 19
- Group Size : 2 to 12
- Walking Per Day : 6 to 7 hours
- Trek/Tour style : Tea house
- Meals : Full board on trekking
- Accomodation: Hotel and Lodge
- Best Season : March to November
- Entry : Kathmandu
- Exit : Kathmandu